22 December 2017

Manny Machado's Best Defensive Plays

In case you haven't heard, Manny Machado may be on his way out of Baltimore soon. Or, you know, maybe not. The latest reports indicate the Orioles plan to hold on to him for a while longer. Still, it's a near certainty that he'll be playing in another city in 2019, so all of this is just delaying the inevitable and showcasing the O's disarray.

When Machado departs, what will you remember most about his time with the Orioles? There's a lot to appreciate. But while he's had some monster performances and clutch moments with the bat, what I'll remember most about his days with the O's are his skills with the glove.

Machado has made some truly ridiculous plays. When watching the replays, many of them still look impossible. I'm not sure how that much range, agility, awareness, and arm strength can be combined into one package.

It's sad that Machado's days with the O's are coming to an end, but let's try and keep things positive (at least for now). Here are some of Machado's best plays at third base. Enjoy!

Ranging play vs. the Yankees, where he bobbles the ball and then throws across his body:


Machado's fake throw to catch the runner at third:


Machado's range and feed to Schoop here are crazy:


I like the double play above better, but this has more style:


Diving stop and throw vs. Blue Jays:


Barehanded play vs. the Yankees. Covers a ton of ground:


Machado ranges left, then throws out Trout:


Double play vs. Rockies:


Wonderful catch and avoids tarp vs. Twins:


Ranging play in World Baseball Classic:


Don't see one of your favorites included above? Link to it in the comments. There are so many tremendous plays that it's easy to lose sight of a few. I think I'll miss the Machado/Schoop double plays the most. What about you?

15 comments:

Pip said...

Magical. Just magical.
amazing. I will always remember Gary Thorne screaming,"he's not gonna throw it at all!" On that fake throw play...when he was what, 19?
Amazing.

Anonymous said...

I don't have time to find it but I know he's made plays that look awfully similar to Brooks in the '70 Series. It would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I guess youtube has everything. This is why I think the O's must keep Machado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skRP8UrFwoY

Matt Kremnitzer said...

That play is the first GIF.

vilnius b. said...

I can't find one of my favorite defensive plays by Machado.
But I know it came against the Twins in Minnesota (was it the year Wieters was hurt?).
A squibbler back to the mound had eluded the pitcher and Manny came out of nowhere and threw the runner out at first while diving for the ball.
What made it extraordinary---when watching the slow motion replays---was that he was essentially parallel to the ground when he made the throw without the aid of his legs. And it was still a bullet to first.
The Schoop play was also one of my favorites.

Matt Kremnitzer said...

Don't think this is the play, but I did find this one: https://www.mlb.com/video/machados-great-barehanded-play/c-26069765?tid=16285926

Anonymous said...

Matt, I knew it was the first play shown but I liked the comparison with Brooks. And I know that it's not the only time Machado did that. Plus I think Machado's arm is better than Brooks'.

Jon Shepherd said...

Brooks was always considered to have a below average arm. Early scouting reports pegged him as a 2B. Reaction and positioning were insanely precise.

SoooPitted said...

https://www.mlb.com/video/machados-incredible-throw/c-1509230683

A casual all time favorite, occurred this past season

SoooPitted said...

https://www.mlb.com/video/machados-incredible-throw/c-1509230683

Unknown said...

Need something new.

Jon Shepherd said...

I internally ask myself this every time you post a comment, but I am usually kind enough to keep silent.

Unknown said...

You need some help? I can fill in, I have time over the holidays.

Pip said...

I would be pleased to know you in real life, I'll bet you are a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Oh, yea....