First though, I'd like to run down some basic points on options:
- When a contract is purchased, a player can be optioned to the minors three times (unless player was signed an MLB contract under the pre-2012 draft rules then he has 4 total options or if an "amateur" international free agent is signed to a MLB contract--most established amateur players like Wei-Yin Chen will negotiate for teams to not be able to use options).
- An option counts as expended if the player spends more than 20 days in the minors based on that assignment.
- Only one option can be expended each season, but a player can be sent up and down between the Majors and Minors as many times as possible in that season under that option.
- Players who have options remaining and more than 5 years of MLB experience must give consent to an option being used.
- A Rule 5 player cannot be sent to the minors (unless on injury rehabilitation) the year he was draft. The following year, he will retain all remaining options.
Transactions of the last few weeks:
November 20, 2012 - Traded Robert Andino to Mariners for Trayvon RobinsonCurrent 40 Man Roster with Options:
November 28, 2012 - Purchased Danny Valencia from the Red Sox
November 30, 2012 - Lost Joe Mahoney to Marlins via Waivers
November 30, 2012 - Traded Jhondaniel Medina to Pirates for Yamaico Navarro
November 30, 2012 - Non-tendered Mark Reynolds, Omar Quintanilla, and Stu Pomeranz